Looking Landwards is on the way!
This is the official promotional bumf.
Commemorating the 75th anniversary of
The Institution of Agricultural Engineers
Cover by Andy Bigwood
With the impending crises of climate change, scarcity of water, dwindling energy reserves and spiraling global populations, the effective management of our land and the food it produces has never been more relevant. Established in 1938 by a small group of far-seeing and enthusiasti cengineers and agriculturalists, the Institution of Agricultural Engineers provides a professional nexus for the scientists, technologists, engineers, and managers working in the many and varied forms of land-based industry.
In 1988 the IAgrE marked its 50th anniversary with a publication that considered the changing face of farming and agricultural engineering over the previous half century. In 2013, to mark their 75th anniversary, they have chosen to commission a book that looks forward at what the future might hold. To help them achieve this, they approached NewCon Press.
Looking Landwards represents NewCon Press’ first ever open submissions anthology. We have been overwhelmed by the response, receiving submissions not only from within the UK but also from the USA, Australia, mainland Europe, Africa, and Asia; from professional writers and would-be writers, from scientists and engineers who are actively involved in dealing with the book’s themes to people who have simply been inspired by them. Looking Landwards features the very best of these stories. Twenty-three works of science fiction and speculation that dare to look to the future and examine what lies ahead for farming, for agricultural engineering and for all of us.
- Introduction by Andy Newbold and Chris Whetnall of the IAgrE
- The Blossom Project – M Frost
- Contraband – Terry Martin
- When Shepherds Dream of Electric Sheep – Sam Fleming
- Inversion Centre – Darren Goossens
- Ode to an Earthworm – Gareth D Jones
- A Touch of Frost – Renee Stern
- The World Coyote Made – Jetse de Vries
- Earthen – Alicia Cole
- Soul Food – Kim Lakin-Smith
- Charlie’s Ant – Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Cellular Level – J E Bryant
- My Oasis Tower – Holly Ice
- Throw Back – Gill Shutt
- Mary on the Edge – Steven Pirie
- Landward – Den Patrick
- Long Indeed Do We Live… – Storm Constantine
- Tractor Time – Kate Wilson
- Veggie Moon – Neal Wooten
- Wheat – Kevin Burke
- Blight – Dev Agarwal
- Black Shuck – Henry Gee
- A Season – Rebecca J. Payne
- The Last Star – Nigel Edwards
- About the Authors
Released 28th October 2013, Looking Landwards will be published as:
A5 paperback (ISBN 978-1-907069-59-8) Price: £11.99 (UK), $20.99 (USA)
A numbered, limited edition hardback, each copy signed by all the contributing authors:
To find out more about the Institution of Agricultural Engineers and their work, visit them at: